January 1, 2020: the start of yet another year.
I woke up this morning to my first thought of: 7 Layer Dip. (That in itself is highly unusual since my first thought is pretty much always about coffee….). You may know the dip I’m referring to: designed to grace a nacho chip after you’ve selected it and before it arrives at your mouth.
The metaphor of the 7 Layer Dip was not lost on me. Seven layers of anything always calls up the flow of energy through the body; the interconnectivity of the energy centres of the body. So, as I dipped into that metaphor (mindful of the rapidly-increasing escalation of climate intensity, in both frequency and density of expression, and in no particular order), these random thoughts emerged.
Whatever Life will bring in 2020, some considerations cannot be dismissed. Here are the ones that stand out for me as I move through this day and into the next. It goes without saying (and I will say it, anyway) that these observations emerge from a structure of reality that is shaped by my own inner truths. If they resonate for you, I will take comfort in knowing that I am not alone in their recognition… and that I travel in your good company! 🙂
* I believe we already know what it’s going to take and how we will need to proceed. What we don’t already seem to know – and seem to persistently and intentionally avoid – is how to BECOME the kind of person who will be both willing and able to do what is required. In the face of that frightening, puzzling and unacknowledged truth, we do nothing.
* My intention for 2020 and commitment to my ever-evolving Self : make every day complete. Begin it and end it with mindfulness. Make it count! Make it matter that I got to live it! I have no idea how many remain and so am choosing to live without a sense of entitlement to do so.
* I imagine what our world might become were we to recognize, name and claim the deep truth of who we are and what we are capable of. Were we to determine NOT to resort to the old, tried-and-true escape hatch from our evident misery by scrambling for “But let’s look on the bright side!”. Let’s not do that, in 2020. Let’s face up to what lives inside us that made it possible for us to create what has already unfolded outside of us. The evidence is all around us. Until we do that – in all its rage and ugliness – we cannot change it. We cannot give away that which does not belong to us.
* Groups (community) are not the answer. We can seek to mitigate our terror by enlisting others as a way of soothing ourselves. However, each of us – alone – must grapple with our own long-lingering inner demons. We can do that in the company of others AND the company of others will not save us from coming face-to-face with our history .
* It is never too late to take ownership of my Self – despite what is going on outside of me.
* It’s not about anything out there – its about me and my own inner unfinished business. Either I dive into that which has its wretched claws sunk deep into my potential… or I die. There is nothing in the middle.
* Don’t talk about engaging it – engage it! Surrender to the pull to descend into the depths of our own darkness, knowing that we are already The Light that will reveal our much greater Self, to ourself. What may feel like the harbinger of absolute destruction can become the ground from which will emerge a more powerful version of our Self expression, in the reality of our own design.
* I am not here to be broken – I am here to rediscover and be revealed to mySelf. I am here to Be, reclaimed!
* I believe we are trained to do just about anything to avoid/defer moving into the terror within. That includes using each other as distractions from a persistent truth that will not allow us to abandon our innate, authentic Self. Such are the gifts from the Universe!
* The absence of Trust in my Self presses me to seek to trust something – anything! – outside of myself. This will only delay and never remove the inevitable inner descent.
* I recognize that we deeply fear our innate ability to RAGE at that which separates us from our unique and authentic Self. We would be wise to trust that rage and reveal all, to ourself. Transformation lives in the courage of that single moment to dive.
* When I cease to live a life of deference, I begin to fully LIVE!
* In our constant search for dialogue with others, we overlook the most potent and revealing dialogue of all: that with our Self. Read/listen/watch… and write! With pen and page, allow that which awakens within to flow through your fingers and onto the page. No filter. No edits. Just the ragged, unpolished revelations that await discovery.
* Despite our desire to make it otherwise, Life fully lived is a solitary journey; it is a path that we must walk alone, in the good company of others whose courage is a match for our own
* Move away from language rooted in religion (i.e god, repent, sacrifice, retribution, judgement, penitence, etc.). Notice when you use it; claim it as being so; and let it go. Find words that bring life and expansion, rather than loss and collapse. Dare to become BIGGER and jettison all that will press you to be small.
Wishing you a meaningful and life-enhancing experience of being yourSelf, in the days to come.