In my retirement, my attention has turned to recognizing, acknowledging and deeply appreciating how immensely fortunate I am to have family and friends that I cherish. For decades, I was drawn to engage in what was, for me, the only way I knew how: caring about and focused on how we, as human beings, were expressing so far below what was possible for us; and how we could become so much more! That was then, this is now and my priorities have changed. I now simply trust that human beings (any and all of us) can and will only walk the path we choose to see.
Now, I welcome every opportunity to spend time with my sons and their partners; my adorable Grandson (yes, I am that highly biased Gramma!); and the amazing friends (not a strong enough word for what this has become) that fill my day-to-day life with such joy, sense of play, curiosity, daring and as-yet still beating heart for that Great Adventure in the world of evolution of consciousness. The difference is that now, only my own evolution takes priority… and whatever might fall from that is a bonus!
Yesterday, I was delighted to spend time with my daughter-in-law, Sarah, who lights up my life! She reminds me to stay true to mySelf, to ask for what I want and keep on truckin’! Sarah is the ‘Wild Child’ in my life…. the smart, edgy, funny and irreverent Voice that makes sure all of that, about mySelf, does not go underground. A no-nonsense approach to her own life keeps me aware of that, in mine. We laugh a lot! And we all know: laughter is good for the Soul!
During our time together, we talked about the world… about change… about what is unfolding around the world. We talked about how fortunate we are (knock wood!) to be so sheltered in the truth of our own experience, as we bear witness to devastation around the world; bear witness to the lives lost and soul-crushing misery being experienced by so many. We recognized that change seems to be moving in from the edges to the centre. In my world, that is a powerful physical metaphor for what it too often takes for us to be willing to examine ourselves: the external challenges press us into that final, essential inner journey; into that deeper discovery of the part we are playing in our own demise.
So, here’s what I realized as Sarah and I parted company.
Things over which I have 0% control:
- movement of magnetic north; possible earth-crust displacement
- solar activity: CME’s, storms, flares, micronova, etc.
- global warming or impending ice age
- Planet X or no Planet X, and its influence on our solar system
- earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamies, etc.
- etc, etc, etc
Things over which I have 100% control:
- my breathing: how I breathe, when I breathe, how deep or shallow my breathing is; when I hold my breath (on inhale or exhale)
- the thoughts I think : whether they are my own or some rehash of someone else’s; same as yesterday’s and the days before or something new
- the people I spend time with : to support my evolution or enforce the status quo; to agree with me or challenge me; to excuse my limitations or press me to discover beyond them
- the ‘reality’ I choose to support: through the stories I tell myself and others; and often, through how and where I spend my money. The lifeblood of our culture is money.. and where it goes, matters.
Now, interestingly, those things over which I have 100% control seem to be tiny and yet, in a world that reflects collective consciousness, ownership of such tiny things can, cumulatively, have a massive impact. It starts with me… with you… with each of us, to take control of our own body and mind. From there, much becomes possible.
It does not have to be complicated. It can be as simple as choosing those things over which you have 100% control and trusting where they will take you. Imagine! A conscious collective! Not because we tried to shift the collective but because we recognize that we are the collective, individually and uniquely shifting.
Simple choices that can lead to powerful and complex results. We are highly contagious – the question is: what are we spreading?
Start with those things over which you have 100% control. You (and we all) have nothing to lose.